Thursday, June 10, 2010

Golf For Dummies

Last night was my first night of golf lessons and I have to admit, I didn't do too bad. My instructor is Dan Polites - a PGA Teaching Professional, and a super nice guy. He owns DP Golf at Clinton Hills Golf Course and obviously knows what he is doing as he was able to help me actually hit the ball :-) He wrote the book "Golf for Rookies" and has created multiple training videos for the Average Jane like me.

So, I got there last night and he told me to grab the 7 iron for this lesson, um ok, which one is that, Dan? As he chuckled, he told me his book would explain what each club is and when to use it, not to worry. He wants our lessons to focus on actually practicing instead of teaching something we can learn from the book. Right on, I get that. Now I have my 7 iron in hand and we are ready to get started. He demonstrates how to grip the club, proper stance, how far out to hold the club and the technique for swinging. Now it's my turn, oh geeze, here we go! First I practice the swinging motion without actually trying to hit a ball. He gets me all lined up and puts a ball on the tee. First swing, I miss. Second swing, I miss. Third and fourth swings, I miss. He assured me that everyone starting out does the same thing and advises I not throw my club as he could sense my frustration. Finally, I made contact with the ball and let me tell you, I was so proud of myself. After a few more hits, I loosened up and got used to the swing. I even had a few beautiful hits that he complimented me on. The rest of the lesson was spent practicing the same swing and by the end of the lesson, I was exhausted.

Today, my forearms are sore and I have a blister on my left hand but I'm super excited to practice on my own before my lesson next week. Of course I do not have proper golf attire so a shopping trip is in order for acceptable clothing such as a collared shirt, khaki shorts or something similar, and definitely a glove to keep my hand from blistering again. Stay tuned for my next progress report!

2 comments: